Friday, August 12, 2011

Gem of the North

Today I leave for a twelve day vacation in New Hampshire. I know what you are thinking, New Hampshire? What the heck is there? (Or, at least that was my first thoughts) I was pleasently surprised on my first trip up North to find out that New Hampshire has tons to offer a girly Southern like myself. It is no Florida, but after flying up the coast to visit my boyfriend's family in Dover, New Hampshire, I realized that I could get used to having coastal beaches, endless rivers, broad mountains, and enormous amounts of specialty shops and food at my fingertips. If you ever find yourself wandering up the coast to New Hampshire, here are my picks of where to go, what to see, and most importantly, where to EAT! :)


It is 9:55 AM here in Gerogia and all I can think about is that this time tomorrow, I may very well be sitting in NewMarket, New Hampshire at the Big Bean Cafe. You think Paula Dean can make a bisuit? Well, let me tell you what, you ain't seen NOTHING yet until you try one of the BB's "grilled" garlic cheddar biscuits. TO DIE FOR! I pair mine with a omelet packed with cheese and ham with a side of their home fried potatoes... (I am totally aware that I am over- indulging myself and my caloric intake for a day; however, I would run 100 miles a week if I could have Big Bean everyday, and I HATE running!)
I can smell and taste that buttery, flaky heaven from here! Not an omlete kinda person, try Tommy's favorite, the stuffed french toast. I hear it is out of this world.


Enough about food for now before I take a bite out of my desk! Adventures to the University of New Hampshire's kayaking grounds is the next stop. Tommy's amazing mom is an outstanding kayaker, (and an amazing everything else) and his brother Nick, took up sailing last summer. Hitting the lake with a few kayaks ands a little sailboat is the plan. Granted, I hate to kayak because I am not good at it, but the scenery and company couldn't be better. Give me a large body of water and I am good to go.

Speaking of, the coast of Maine is hardly an hour drive away. As a kid, it was one of my favorite places to go and do cartwheels on a big green lawn facing out onto Booth Bay Harbor. Not much has changed. From the tidal pools full of little marine life to the huge rocks that are just waiting to by climbed, Maine's beachs are serene. The water is cool and when I say cool I mean freezing! But, Hey, thats probably because I am used to a bathwater ocean on the shores of Mexico Beach.


On the way back from the beach, swing through Portsmouth. It reminds me of my favorite city, Chattanooga, TN.  Right on the water and brimming with unqie shops and resturants, it is probably my favorite part of vacation. If you want a great brew with some good food, head to the Portsmouth Brewery. I find myself having to MAKE Tommy go eat somewhere else with me after asking him what sounds good and him always saying, "You know, I could go for the brewery again." Walk across the street to Fatdaddy's for some corkscrew Lobster Mac & Cheese that will make you melt it is so good. One of my personal favorites. Grab a coffee at the cool and laid back Breaking New Grounds or a piece of Chocolate cake that a glass of milk is a must with at the bakery across the way. Take a stroll down the sidewalk, past the bookstore, and around the corner you will find a seafood lover's abode called Jumpin' Jays. This is mine and Tommy's "spot." Its a little black dress kinda place with the freshest seafood brought in daily from coast to coast. The Mahi Mahi with Lobster Volute sauce is a sin.


Just thinking about all the great things I am missing has made me realize that this vacation needs a post about every other day, with pictures of all the marvelous things I have been describing. Stay posted. You never know what new adventure, shop, or food will show  up next :) New Hampy, HERE I COME!





No comments:

Post a Comment