Monday, August 8, 2011

Getting My Feet Wet, or Jumping in Head First

If I learned one thing about the economy and the lack of jobs generating in America, it would be this: Times are tough and working your butt off in college DOES pay off, IF you decided to work your butt off looking for a job AND putting yourself out there while writing a forty page thesis and trying to have somewhat of a social life senior year. I am grateful to have a amazing job and to be able to follow my dreams. How did I get here you ask? Well, let me tell you.

Graduating in the year 2011 didn't have much of an appeal. "Stay in school as long as you can," or "you will never find a good job if you don't have a Masters" is advice that I was given upon graduating. My response was simple. "Nope!" With no interest in more school and with the accomplished feeling of being a graduate taking over my soul, I began to look for my niche. I wanted to start somewhere that I could move up the totum pole, meet as many new people as possible, and gain connections that would stick with me for years to come in my career. What better place to start then at a Chamber of Commerce, right?

The Troup County Chamber of Commerce and Tourism looked at my resume and saw my hard work on paper. Writer, editor, event coordinator, organizer, legal intern, published author and volunteer were all hats I wore on the Hill. Two days later I was hired on. I walked across the stage on May 21st and I walked into the real-work-world on May 23rd. Prepared to challenge myself and to always give my best effort. That way, if I messed up, at least I would know I did all that I could. That attitude was a gift from my father, who adopted it from his father. It's pretty much my mission statement and way of life.

Another important man in my life told me that his goal in life was to have the job of his dreams and to wake up and want to go to work. My boyfriend, Tommy, taught me to go for my dreams because every person in life deserves to have a shot at what they love. So I did. And here I am.

My love for Lewis Carroll's "Alice in Wonderland" taught me another way to live my life. Be outgoing like Alice, be a little crazy like the Hatter, be wise and confident like the caterpillar, value time as much as the White Rabbit, and be what I want to be, just as Carroll did. My "dream job" of becoming an event planner was up for the taking and I grabbed it by the horns and am riding it out from here.

Wonderland Events, Wonderland Events a whimsy, fun, and classic company, just as Carroll's book portrayed Wonderland.

I can't say that in just one short month my company is a huge success, but it has hosted some great parties and has had some very impressed guests. It will be involved in THREE inspiration shoots with Three great photographers and some up- and- coming vendors. And, for me, it has given me the chance to be creative and make others feel the fun and enjoyment I get from my job. That's really all I could ever ask for. So check it out! Wonderland Events is on FaceBook (click the link above!) and I'll get his blog pretty packed with info abot it as well.

Don't forget to follow your own dreams and to realize that life is what you make it :) WISH ME LUCK!

No comments:

Post a Comment